Welcome To The Sugar Maple House
Hi everyone, my name is Briana. I live in a small town in northern Minnesota with my long-suffering husband, Chris, and four kids William (13), Dani (11), Adeline and Cora (6).
Our lives are busy. Like many of you, our lives are actually too busy. Over the last year my husband and I have come to the realization we need a family overhaul, particularly in the areas of what we put in our bodies and how we operate, logistically, as a family. My haters would refer to me as unorganized, although I prefer the term "free spirited." So we have tended to be loose with our definition of things like A Healthy Meal, or Rules For The Children, or even something as simple as Chore Charts.
Sugar Maple House is our adventure into this new territory as a family. I grew up right outside of Itasca State Park (Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi River) and my family collectively owned land in the middle.of.nowhere. Way back in the woods, there are several cabins, an old red pump to get water, and some of the most beautiful Sugar Maples you have ever seen in the whole world. In the early spring buckets are put out for sap, which is harvested to make maple syrup and maple sugar.
Our lives are busy. Like many of you, our lives are actually too busy. Over the last year my husband and I have come to the realization we need a family overhaul, particularly in the areas of what we put in our bodies and how we operate, logistically, as a family. My haters would refer to me as unorganized, although I prefer the term "free spirited." So we have tended to be loose with our definition of things like A Healthy Meal, or Rules For The Children, or even something as simple as Chore Charts.
![]() |
| Did I mention Spike and Ashlyn? Because they think this is ALL for them... |
On the cabin land we had a building specifically for the boiling down of the sap, and while everyone just calls it the Cook Shack, I always thought of it as the Sugar Maple House. To me, it represents the beautiful simplicity of my childhood. It represents hard work, and the unbreakable family bond we all share. Growing up like I did was an awesome combination of organic locally sourced beef with garden tomatoes one day and hot dogs with canned baked beans the next.
That's the kind of life I want for my own kids; room to breath, healthy food in their bellies, and a firm foundation on which to build the rest of their lives.
We want to invite you along with us as we try different routines, meal plans, kitchen gadgets, non-toxic cleaners and the elusive successful family vacation. We have a lot to learn about how to do this thing better, and we are looking for help and support. Thank you for joining us!



Comments
Post a Comment