No Sugar Icecream
This is our first attempt at making a no-sugar type of dessert,
and I have to be honest, I was a little lot skeptical. I'm not anti-any of these ingredients, I just don't look at them and think "ice cream." So we will see. I also am not following any one recipe. I looked at a bunch of different ones on the interwebs and got the gist of their thought process and went to my own small-town grocer and my own depleted home pantry to see what I could come up with.
INGREDIENT LIST
I put it all together in the Ninja I got my husband for his 40th birthday. I then took twenty minutes to figure out how to turn the thing on, and let 'er buck.
CONTAINER CHOICES
I poured about an eighth of the resulting brownie-colored liquid into these molds we got in the wedding section at Walmart. I put those in the freezer
I added about a half cup of this shredded coconut to the rest, because I had it so why the hell not, and put it back into the yogurt container and into the freezer. Based on the little bit I licked off the spoon I was cautiously optimistic. I mean, I'm not expecting a taste to rival Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey (mnnnnnnnnnn), but if this helps me not to freak the eff out about cutting sugar, I'm willing to make some compromises.
RESULTS
Well it is definitely NOT ice cream, and thanks to my little helpers dousing in too much cocoa powder is a little chalky and bitter. That being said, the banana/peanut butter/yogurt combo did take the edge off of my sweet tooth, and it was creamy and cold. I'm only two days into this sugar-free thing so maybe it will be a little bit more satiating later on? I'll keep you updated.
Any ideas, besides any kind of sweetener obviously, that would be an improvement? Recipes you have tried?







Comments
Post a Comment