How I Clean and Purge A Room

 How I Clean and Purge the Toy Room
I have to be honest, as far as "making house" is concerned I consider myself a bumbling amateur in almost every single area.  Being a responsible mother, cooking healthy meals people will actually eat, or at the very least have never been on fire, or reinforcing the brushing of teeth, are all areas in which I struggle.  BUT, purging a room?  Now that's my bread and butter.  Maybe it's because I have so much experience throwing things away like bills, kids' report cards, license plate tabs, that I have learned to not care so much about what gets pitched out?

Actually I started cleaning resort cabins the summer after my 6th grade year in school.  That and some specific instruction from my own mother, The Queen of Clean, left me with some serious purge skills early in life.

I have never felt intimidated by a room, and believe me, my 13 year-old boy child has given me plenty of opportunity to freak out.  This last week it was the loft living room that needed more than a vacuum and a dusting.  These are the steps I take when more than a vacuum and dusting is called for:


STEP ONEThumping music and coffee If you haven't invested in a portable speaker, I highly recommend it for cleaning, backyard BBQs, the park, etc.  We have a little Bose that rocks the whole house.  I put on my Christian Workout station on Pandora and feel the motivation wash over my body!


STEP TWO:  Put the puppy in the basement....



STEP FOUR:  Get a couple garbage bags handy


STEP FOUR:  Take all the bins/stuff and put it in a pile



STEP FIVE:  Start separating into 1) bins, 2) garbage, and 3) thrift store.  For us, each bin is a different type of toy/books/game.  I am ruthless with throwing and getting rid of stuff.  I don't fix stuff, I throw it.  If a piece of a puzzle is missing I throw the whole thing.  YOLO.  If I hate reading a book it goes to the thrift store.  If a game has ticked me off the last three times the kids played it, it goes to the thrift store.  I don't save stuff for cousins, or the miraculous event of us "having one more," I sent toys we've outgrown packin'.  










How'd the puppy get back in here?
Obviously my kids need a reminder about "no food in the toy room"

STEP FIVE:  Put all the thrift store stuff in the back of the car.
STEP SIX:  Put bins back and vacuum
STEP SEVEN:  Dump out cold coffee and make a new pot, enjoy it sitting in my clean room.


Comments